Board Meeting Minutes 10/12/2009
USD # 247 BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING – October 12, 2009
A regular meeting of the USD #247 Board of Education was called to order by President Keith Ritchey at 6:30 p.m., Monday, October 12, 2009, at the District Office. Other members present were Mindy Dainty, Tara Underwood, LaDonna Hartman, Jerry Alexander, and Joe Ulery. Also present were Superintendent Tim Burns and Board Clerk Roberta Sellers.
(1) Mindy Dainty moved to approve the agenda as amended. Tara Underwood seconded. Motion carried 6-0.
(2) LaDonna Hartman moved to approve the minutes of the September 14, 2009 meeting. Jerry Alexander seconded. Motion carried 6-0.
(3) Jerry Alexander moved to approve the bills totaling $171,974.65. Mindy Dainty seconded. Motion carried 6-0.
(4) LaDonna Hartman moved to approve the superintendent application and brochure as presented by Dr. Howard Smith. Jerry Alexander seconded. Motion carried 6-0.
The board discussed the September 21, 2009 headcount of 657.5 FTE including the 4yr old at risk and how it will affect the budget this year. The total headcount that was used for budgeting purposes was 706 FTE including the four-year-old at risk program (as allowed by law).
The board gave Mr. Burns guidance on purchasing a vehicle for the Driver’s Education program.
At the next meeting Mr. Burns will provide information and resources for reorganization of the district for discussion purposes.
The board discussed an academic acceleration program for the district.
The Jr. High technology curriculum was discussed and reviewed.
(5) Tara Underwood moved to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel and student issues for 15 min. to reconvene at 8:15 pm. Joe Ulery seconded. Motion carried 6-0.
President Ritchey called the meeting back to order.
(6) Per Mr. Burns’ recommendation, Tara Underwood moved to extend the Librarian
position by two weeks, due to extra responsibilities. Mindy Dainty seconded. Motion carried 6-0.
(7) Per Mr. Burns’ recommendation, Keith Ritchey moved to change Jan Bevins’
position to ½ Title I para/1/2 At-Risk Tutor. Tara Underwood seconded. Motion carried 6-0.
(8) Joe Ulery moved to pay classified employees $10 per meeting plus $10 per hour for any meeting that runs over one hour on a pro-rated basis for meetings conducted outside the contracted work time. LaDonna Hartman seconded. Motion carried 6-0.
It was announced a tour of all buildings by the board members would be made on October 15, 2009, starting at Southeast at 6 pm.
(9) Joe Ulery moved to adjourn at 8:40 p.m. Mindy Dainty seconded. Motion carried 6-0.
Clerk of the Board President